Parrot OS :
Parrot is similar to Kali Linux, which means it is also used for security purposes and ethical hacking. Similar to Kali, it is also a Linux-based distribution. Now the question arises, which one is better, Kali or Parrot. Both the OS supports 32-bit and 64-bit architecture, supports cloud VPS, support for embedded and IoT devices, and comes pre-installed with an arsenal of hacking tools. So, according to the software perspective, both are roughly different.
When it comes to the hardware, they slightly differ:
No Graphical Acceleration Required
Graphical Acceleration Required
1GHZ dual-core CPU
1GHZ dual-core CPU
Can boot in legacy and UEFI
Can boot in legacy and UEFI
16GB of hard disk space
20GB of hard disk space
So we can clearly see that on hardware Parrot OS fairly wins because it requires less RAM to work due to its lightweight nature and its installation is pretty easy as well. So, anyone can install Parrot OS, either a beginner or a security professional.
We can also use Parrot OS in dual boot as well, but for a beginner, it is better to install it in VirtualBox so that first they learn how to use Linux commands, learn to use its security tools, and much more. The advantage of using VirtualBox is that if somehow the operating system gets corrupted or crashed, then it won’t harm your base operating system since it is installed in a virtual environment and we can remove it whenever we want.
Prerequisites for Parrot OS :
- At least should have 16GB of free disk space on another OS.
- Parrot OS ISO File that can be downloaded from here
- Install Virtual Box on Windows. Refer to the article – Installing Virtual Box
- Minimum of 5-10 GB free space in your hard disk
- A minimum of 4GB of RAM is recommended, but better to have 8GB for smooth working.
Who Parrot is made for :
- Security Experts
- Digital forensics experts
- Computer Science/Engineering Students
- Wannabe Hackers
- Software developers
- Journalists, Hacktivists, and Whistleblowers
- Police officers and security agencies
For more information on Parrot OS visit its website, here and to learn about its usage you can refer to its documentation.
Install Parrot OS in VirtualBox :
1. Open the virtual box and click on the New Button.
2. Give the name to your virtual machine, add Machine Folder, Type=Linux, and version as Debian (64-bit).Click on next.
A machine folder is the location where the instance of your virtual os is saved. You don’t need to provide it, it will select its default location automatically.
3. Now, to allot the RAM size for a virtual machine, if you have 4GB RAM, give a Memory Size of 15045MB RAM at least so that your virtual machine, as well as your local machine both, can work smoothly. For 8GB RAM and above can give a memory size of 2048MB to 4096MB. Click on next.
4. Select the option “Create a virtual hard disk now” and then click on Create button.
5. Now select the hard disk type for Virtual Hard Disk(For daily purposes it’s better to choose VDI). Click on Next
6. Now select dynamically allocated space for storage on the physical hard disk.
7. Give the size to virtual hard disk, recommended size is 20GB but you can give greater than it also. The location should be kept as default. Now click on Create button.
8. As soon as the process is completed, right-click on the machine name that you created and open Settings.
9. In the Settings window on the left pane, select System, and in Motherboard click on the Network option in the Boot order to enable it.
10. In the Processor section give 2 processors for smooth performance.
11. Again in the left pane, click on the Storage option and then select the “Empty” option given under “Controller: IDE” in the middle pane and then click on the CD image given on the right pane on the right side of “Optical drive”.
It is marked with the sequence of 1,2 and 3 in the figure given below.
12. Click on choose a disk file and navigate it to the location where the Parrot OS ISO image you have downloaded. Then click on Open
13. In the Network section in the left pane select Bridged Adapter to use the internet in your virtual machine. It is of no use if you can’t access the net on your virtual device. Now click on OK at the Bottom.
14. Now all the settings are done and ISO location is provided. Click on start to begin the installation.
15. There are two ways to install first by selecting the Live Mode and 2nd by selecting the Install option and both will work the same. we will go with the 1st method
Select the Parrot OS in Left Pane and click on start for installation.
16. As soon as the installation starts, it prompts you to select the ISO file which you want to install since we have already given its path in settings. We can see the selected iso image, so click on the start button to launch the installation.
17. Click on Live Mode. It will directly start your Parrot OS and you can see its home screen. From there we can proceed with the installation.
18. In its home screen, Select Install Parrot to begin the installation.
18. Provide your location. Click on Next.
19. Select the default language according to your keyboard( below is selected for QUERTY keyboard layout.
20. Click on the “Erase Disk” radio button (recommended for beginners ). It will automatically partition your virtual disk according to the size you have provided to it. Click on Next.
21. Finally, you just need to create a user( root user) and password to access it whenever you want so that your data is saved.
22. On the last page, it will show all the settings that you have selected or done till now so that you can verify it one last time before the final install procedure starts.
23. After verification, if you are not satisfied and change some settings then you can either click on the Back button or click on the Cancel button. If satisfied, then click on the Install button, it will prompt you to continue installation, then click on Install Now, to begin the installation.
24. Now we just need to wait for at least 20-30 minutes for the installation to finish up. After it has done, it will prompt to restart. Click on it restart so that your virtual machine will save all the necessary changes that have been made.
25. After restart you will see that it’s not full screen and it’s quite annoying also to work on it. Therefore, to solve such issues, VirtualBox includes Guest Additions iso to install it and make it full screen to enhance its user’s experience.
Resize VirtualBox to Full Screen :
1. Start your Parrot OS virtual machine and click on the “Parrot GNU/Linux” option or do nothing since it will automatically open Parrot GNU/Linux after 5 seconds.
2. login to the system and at the top in the Menu bar, click in Devices and select “Insert Guest Additions CD image”. This will add Guest Additions iso image for your Linux distribution that helps it to fit in the screen.
3. Now open the folder path “/media/<user-name>/” to reach the folder location where this image is added( user-name is the name that you provided while creating the user during installation).
4. Right-click on the page and select “Open in Terminal”.
Now we run a few commands to install Guest Additions and it will enable full-screen mode to your virtual machine.
$ sudo su
It will prompt you to enter your password: <password>( password text is hidden so don’t panic) then click enter.
By this way, you become a root user
5. change the mode of file “VBoxLinuxAdditions.run” to executable and then run the file to install Guest Additions.
# chmod +x VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
it will change the mode of the above file to executable.
It will install Guest Additions
6. After installation is completed to apply the changes, restart your virtual machine.
7. After restarting, to make your virtual machine full screen either click on the top right corner. Maximize button or press “Host+F”( host button is CTRL button present in the right bottom ) on the keyboard.
Now Your Parrot OS is successfully installed in VirtualBox with all the basic functionalities that are required. To shut down your Parrot OS, follow step 6, it will automatically close your virtual machine.
My Personal Notesarrow_drop_up
How to download ParrotOS on VirtualBox 2022? ›
Click on Try/Install to begin Parrot OS installation. The live system will boot and soon you will be on the desktop interface; the rest of the process will begin henceforth. On the desktop, click on the Install Parrot icon.Can Parrot OS run on 4gb RAM? ›
The minimum system requirements to run a full-fledged installation of parrot security are as below: No Graphical Acceleration Required. Minimum 320MB RAM is required. A minimum 1GHZ dual-core CPU is required.How to install Parrot OS? ›
- Install the Mate desktop environment. ...
- Install the Lightdm display manager. ...
- Start Lightdm. ...
- Confirm that Lightdm is up and running. ...
- Change the default server environment from terminal to desktop. ...
- Restart the server to save changes.
We see that ParrotOS definitely wins against Kali Linux when it comes to hardware requirements due to its lightweight nature. Not only does it require lesser RAM to function properly, but the full installation is also pretty lightweight; thanks to the use of the Matte-Desktop-Environment by the developers.Is Parrot OS 32 or 64 bit? ›
It follows a rolling release development model. The desktop environments is MATE, and the default display manager is LightDM. The system is certified to run on devices which have a minimum of 256MB of RAM, and it is suitable for both 32-bit (i386) and 64-bit (amd64) processor architectures.Is Parrot OS better than Ubuntu? ›
Difference between Ubuntu and Parrot Linux.
|8.||Ubuntu is a good option for beginners to Linux.||Parrot Linux is a good option for those who are intermediate in Linux.|
Parrot OS needs 16 GB of free space for installation.Can I boot parrot OS from USB? ›
Making a bootable USB Drive
For dual-boot or single-boot installation of Parrot Sec OS, you need a USB drive with minimum 4GB of space. Download the ISO and burn it to USB drive. If you are on Linux, you can use either dd or Etcher utility (https://www.balena.io/etcher/).
Since Parrot host everything themselves (the Parrot repository configuration includes only Parrot hosts), what you get depends on how often Parrot refreshes its packages from Debian; that appears to happen very often, so it seems appropriate to consider that Parrot is based on Debian 10 (even though that's ever- ...Do hackers use Parrot OS? ›
Parrot OS is a platform for hacking. It has an easy to use editor for software development. This platform enables you to surf the web privately and securely. Hackers can use Parrot OS to perform vulnerability assessment, penetration testing, computer forensics, and more.
Why is Kali better than Parrot OS? ›
Kali Linux requires over 20 GB of storage, while Parrot OS can make do with just around 15 GB. Kali is a little heavyweight, demanding a minimum RAM of 1 GB, while Parrot OS can make do with just 300 MB RAM. Kali Linux requires hardware acceleration, using the GPU, while Parrot OS does not need this.Is Parrot OS better than Windows? ›
When assessing the two solutions, reviewers found Windows 10 easier to use. However, Parrot Security OS is easier to set up and administer. Reviewers also preferred doing business with Parrot Security OS overall. Reviewers felt that Parrot Security OS meets the needs of their business better than Windows 10.How to install Parrot OS in VMWare 2022? ›
- Fier up VMWare Workstation. ...
- Select Custom Configuration Wizard. ...
- Select Virtual Machine Hardware Compatibility. ...
- Select the Operating System Media. ...
- Select Guest Operating System.
- Name the Virtual Machine Name and location. ...
- Allocate the Processors.
In fact, Parrot OS is designed to be able to run effectively from a USB stick while Kali Linux doesn't run too well this way and is usually installed in a VM. Now, one disadvantage of Parrot OS is that it's not as beginner friendly as Kali Linux and it doesn't come with as many tools.Is Parrot OS and Linux are same? ›
Parrot Security OS is a Linux (particularly Debian-based) operating system first released in 2013 for ethical hackers and penetration testers. Parrot OS may be thought of as a portable lab for a wide range of cyber security management ranging from pen testing to reverse programming and digital forensics.What OS do hackers use? ›
Linux is the most popular choice for hackers due to its flexibility, open source platform, portability and command line interface and compatibility with popular hacking tools. Windows is a required, but dreaded target for most hackers because it requires them to work in Windows-only environments.Do hackers use Kali Linux? ›
Kali Linux is not only a free, convenient, and highly secure Linux OS but also includes over 600 tools for information security. Hackers commonly use Kali Linux because it has security analysis, security auditing, and penetration testing.Is Parrot OS stable? ›
All the packages composing the core system are now tracking the latest Debian Stable instead of Debian Testing and will guarantee no significant changes for at least 2 years. This approach makes Parrot not only more reliable but also extremely secure being always up-to-date in real-time.Who made Parrotos? ›
Parrot Security OS is developed by security expert Lorenzo “Palinuro” Faletra along with a team of other security experts, open-source developers, digital rights advocates, and other Linux enthusiasts. The first public release was on April 2013. Version 1.0 codenamed Hydrogen was released in July 2014.Can I run Windows 11 in VirtualBox? ›
VirtualBox is an open-source virtualization platform from Oracle that makes it easy to create virtual machines to run Windows 11, Windows 10, or another OS alongside the main installation on the same hardware.
Can I run Windows 11 in VM? ›
At the time of this writing, VMware Workstation has no option for Windows 11. However, you can choose Windows 10 and later X64 here, and it works fine. Before adding the virtual TPM device, we must encrypt the VMware Workstation VM.Is VirtualBox Safe for Windows 11? ›
Windows 11 is now up and running as a virtual machine in VirtualBox 7.0. All of its security features will work flawlessly, and you don't have to modify the registry values to install it.What is Parrot OS RAM mode? ›
"RAM mode" loads the operating system into RAM, which allows you to pull the USB stick from a host and continue to work in Parrot Security until the host reboots. The standard "Persistence" option will enable you to retain changes to the OS on your USB drive.What kernel is Parrot OS? ›
Parrot 5.1 is here six months after Parrot 5.0 and it's powered by Linux kernel 5.18, which, unfortunately, reached end of life in August. However, the new kernel comes as a significant update from Linux kernel 5.16 used in the previous release, so you should expect better hardware support.Can Parrot OS be used for gaming? ›
It allows you to store your games from different platforms into one program to make it easier for you to manage your games.Who is the owner of Kali Linux? ›
Mati Aharoni is the founder and core developer of the Kali Linux project, as well as the CEO of Offensive Security.Which Linux is faster than Ubuntu? ›
The Mint Software Manager is faster than Ubuntu's. Mint is also straightforward and provides more usability options, which allows a user to find things quickly. For example, a common mistake for beginners is to mess with the PPA repository while installing third-party software.Can I use Parrot OS as a daily? ›
Parrot Home Edition is a general purpose operating system with the typical Parrot look and feel. This edition is designed for daily use, privacy and software development. Parrot Tools can be manually installed to assemble a custom and lightweight pentesting environment.Is Parrot OS available for 32-bit? ›
We have been releasing 32-bit images since the beginning of the project and we worked hard to provide fresh binary updates for the i386 architecture for a while, but nowadays 32-bit-only computers are no longer capable of running a full pentest campaign or providing hardware-accelerated support to our security ...What is the default root password for Parrot OS? ›
The default username is "user" and the default password is "toor".
Is Parrot OS good for Pentesting? ›
Parrot OS is similar to Kali Linux, and is an open-source Debian-based operating system. It is used for cloud pentesting, computer forensics, hacking and privacy/anonymity.How much does parrot os cost? ›
Pricing Details (Provided by Vendor): Parrot OS is available for free.Is Kali good for Programming? ›
That's what makes Kali Linux a top choice for programmers, developers, and security researchers, especially if you're a web developer. It's also a good OS for low-powered devices, as Kali Linux runs well on devices like the Raspberry Pi.
- Step 1 - Create a new Virtual Machine. ...
- Step 1.1 - Enter a name for your Virtual Machine. ...
- Step 1.2 - Allocate Memory/RAM. ...
- Step 2 - Create a Virtual Hard Drive. ...
- Step 2.1 - Select Virtual Drive File type. ...
- Step 2.2 - Select Physical Hard Drive allocation type. ...
- Step 2.3 - Allocate disk size.
Making a bootable USB Drive
Download the ISO and burn it to USB drive. If you are on Linux, you can use either dd or Etcher utility (https://www.balena.io/etcher/). On Windows, you should use Win32DiskImager utility to burn ISO to the USB drive.
We see that ParrotOS definitely wins against Kali Linux when it comes to hardware requirements due to its lightweight nature. Not only does it require lesser RAM to function properly, but the full installation is also pretty lightweight; thanks to the use of the Matte-Desktop-Environment by the developers.How many MB is Parrot OS? ›
|Parrot OS||Kali Linux|
|Minimum 320 MB RAM required||Minimum 1GB RAM required|
|Minimum 1GHZ dual-core CPU required||Minimum 1GHZ dual-core CPU required|
|Can boot in legacy and UEFI modes||Can boot in legacy and UEFI modes|
|Minimum 20GB of hard disk space required||Minimum 20GB of hard disk space required|
1. Kali Linux. It is the most widely used ethical hacking OS. It is a Debian-based Linux - based operating system developed for penetration testing and digital forensics.Is Parrot OS lightweight? ›
Parrot OS is another Linux distribution that comes pre-installed with security tools. One of the main advantages of Parrot OS compared to Kali Linux is that parrot OS is considered lightweight. This means that it requires much less disk space and processing power to run effectively.Why is parrot better than Kali? ›
Kali Linux requires over 20 GB of storage, while Parrot OS can make do with just around 15 GB. Kali is a little heavyweight, demanding a minimum RAM of 1 GB, while Parrot OS can make do with just 300 MB RAM. Kali Linux requires hardware acceleration, using the GPU, while Parrot OS does not need this.
Is Linux easy to hack? ›
Unlike other operating system, Linux is less secure when it comes to security. This is because the source code is available freely, so it is easy to study it for vulnerabilities and exploit them compared to other operating systems that are not open source.Why do hackers prefer Linux? ›
Linux is the most popular choice for hackers due to its flexibility, open source platform, portability and command line interface and compatibility with popular hacking tools.